Saturday, May 15, 2010

These are cupcakes dressed as devils, not devil cupcakes.

I got Hello, Cupcake! out of the library, and Kristen's graduating this weekend, so you can probably see where this is going.


I'm using the Chocolate Mint Recipe:


1 box of devil's food cake mix
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
3/4 cup chopped Andes Crème de Menthe Thins (this seems to be about 20 chocolates)


Make as directed, folding the chopped mint chocolates into the batter.




Because I'm awesome and lazy, I've determined that "breaking into pieces with your hands" is pretty much like chopping.  And "putting in the mixer" is probably close enough to "folding".  Folding things into cakes just makes me think of the non-magic cake from Sleeping Beauty.


The recipe says it'll make 24 regular cupcakes, but I've got 24 regular cupcakes and 18 mini cupcakes.


I'm not using one of the designs in the book, although I really need to make the pumpkins once it's seasonally appropriate and the sharks once I get some Twinkies.  And people willing to eat frosted Twinkies on cupcakes.  (Also, aliens.  God obviously wants me to use make these alien cupcakes and use this Romulan ale recipe He hath guided me to.)


I considered turning the aliens into devils, but I'm already worried that the frosting isn't going to survive the travel and heat.  


Finding blue candy that can be turned into devil horns is more complicated than you would expect.  I have never so fervently wished for it to be the 90's again.  Oh, for those halcyon days when everything you could shove in your gob came in XTREME BLUE RAZZBERRY.


I settled on Kroger Sour Slices.  Two bags didn't give me enough blue pieces.


I assume that mint chocolate cupcakes do not go well with Sour Blue Raspberry, no matter how TO THE MAX that Blue Raspberry may be.  But that's not the real problem--the real problem is that these Sour Slices are Carolina Blue.


Making the horns used the super sophisticated technique of "cutting the slices in half".
I used Wilton Icing Color in Royal Blue.  Unlike Black, you have to be generous with Royal Blue to get it to the appropriate shade of Duke Blue (as opposed to the getting an ass kicking from your father shade of Pusilanimous Carolina Blue.)


The three in the left corner were dipped in sprinkles.  It looks really nice in the book and in real life, but it's kind of a pain to do, and I kept hearing the graduation girl complaining about how much sugar is involved.


For those of you playing along at home, this is devil's food (hurr hurr) adulterated with chocolate mints, vanilla frosting, gummi candies with some kind of sugar on them, chocolate chip eyes, and Sparkle Gel (which I assume is vampire high fructose corn syrup).
Since this is for Kristen, I had a solution to my lack of blue horns--pink.  And put pink sprinkles over Duke Blue to show school spirit, not because I can't plan ahead.


I think you should know that frosting sour gummis doesn't really work very well.


I blue myself several times while I was working on these.




The little devils are spending the night in the fridge before their big trip.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment