Friday, January 22, 2010

Kicking ascot


This winter, I have been abusing the hell out of this scarf pattern.  I've made three in three different colors of Lion Brand Microspun (which is soft, but very slippery when you're actually working with it), one in Paton's Wool for Kristen (who hopefully remembers not to put it in the dryer), and one in Vanna's Glamour Sapphire for my mother's birthday.

Zoot is modeling the one I'm still working on for myself. Well, maybe myself--I don't know if I really like the way the yarn feels.  I think everything except Kristen's scarf is acrylic, but this one's much coarser.

I first tried the pattern because I had leftover yarn and, being confident and not good at math, figured that the One Ball Scarf would totally work for what was left after two potholders.  (I bought the yarn with Kristen in mind, but when stealthily asking her opinion she said it was pretty, but she'd prefer the brighter option for her kitchen.  So, Claire got potholders, Kristen got a scarf.)

I assume anyone who actually cares about the pattern should just register at Lion Brand anyway, but I do enjoy a bit of minor, extremely lame piracy:

Chain 30.
Row 1: Double crochet in 6th chain from hook, *skip next chain, chain 1, double crochet in next chain; repeat from * across ending with double crochet in last chain.
Row 2: Chain 4 (counts as first double crochet and chain 1), turn. *Skip next chain-1 space, double crochet in next double crochet, chain 1, repeat from * across ending with double crochet into last double crochet.
Repeat Row 2 until almost all yarn has been used. Fasten off.




For some reason I decided that it was "Chain 31", so that's why your scarf is horrible and bad.  I also found that you want to end your rows by double crocheting in the chain (second from the top seems to work well), then chain 4, skip the dc you just made, and then start the row (otherwise it starts getting weird).  


Hopefully that makes sense to anyone actually attempting it at home.


The pattern appears a few more times on the Lion Brand site--there's another version under Vanna's Glamour and there's one for Microspun.  The Flower Scarf for Microspun yarn involves adding dippy little flowers, and I'm kind of skeptical that you'd be able to get the scarf long enough and make the flowers using only one ball--but then I made mine slightly wider (ch 31 instead of 22), so what do I know?



No comments:

Post a Comment