Friday, January 8, 2010

12 Days of Christmas gifts--Blue and Bronze (or Silver) edition

Jamel loves the Harry Potter series.  So, last year I made her a towel with the Ravenclaw crest on it.

I modified a Little Mojo pattern to fit the stitching space of a Charles Craft showcase huck towel, added a second color, and of course forgot to take a picture of the finished piece before I gave it to her.  (Little Mojo's site vanished earlier in 2009, but I think most of the charts are still available at The Leaky Cauldron. )

Naturally this created a problem: how the hell do I equal that?

Jamel also likes purple, and I've been playing around with wool felting this fall.  In the foreground you can see the gift for Tammy, my karate instructor (I assumed she likes blue since that's the color of her sparring equipment and usually her toenail polish), and a slightly larger version for Jamel.


I also made her a little Uhura magnet.  (Based on previous experience, Jamel will probably assume it's because she's black when actually it's because I think she would make an excellent telephone operator.)

Then it occurred to me: I should totally get Jamel a Snuggie and put a Ravenclaw crest on it so when she's lounging around the house, she can pretend she's at Hogwart's instead of law school.

As I was researching the best way to do this (online Ravenclaw crest price comparisons, the cost of making my mom attach something to a store bought Snuggie versus making my mom sew a Snuggie then attach something to it), I saw the Facebook status post you always want to see while planning a project like this: someone else bought Jamel a Hogwart's Snuggie.

So, it was back aboard the Lion Brand Microspun Yarn Scarf train.  (Basically, everybody either got a scarf or potholders this Christmas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment