Monday, February 21, 2011


My stash is too big, which is obviously only a problem when it's something like yarn.  I mean, if I had a huge and unwieldy stash of drugs, I could just get some glowsticks, put my shameful techno on repeat, and have the awesomest week ever.  Or make some damn money.

But as far as I know, yarn doesn't get you high or make 80's/90's PSA drug dealers think you're cool.  So, now I either need to try inhaling acrylic yarn fumes or make a bunch of shit.  I'm considering craft vending, but in the meantime, one of those Catwoman dolls I've been planning to make for a shameful amount of time.

As usual, Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More! body and Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet head.  Because, as usual, I cannot figure out what the flippity fuck I'm doing with the Creepy Cute head.

This is the cotton yarn left over from pretending I was going to make something for Kendra and actually making Darth Vader.  I should probably have used a smaller hook size since you can see the stuffing in this picture.

The goggles are three pieces of felt: the strap around the head, the bottom layer of the cat's eye shape, and the frame.  For the lenses I used these orange...dots from the scrapbooking section.  I was going to put googly eyes underneath them, but there's no curve to the "lens" and it didn't look quite right.  I ended up drawing eyes on the adhesive side of the dots with a permanent marker.  This took a few tries.  Gluing the goggles together was one of those moments where I wondered if I was going to have to come up with a less pathetic reason for my severe burns.  But the extra glue looks kind of like fangs!

Just so you know, Ben Franklin and my attic do not have flesh colored felt.  The best option I could find was "cashmere tan" which was too dark even against black.

The solution: foam.  Which was even better since I could just draw the mouth on with a permanent marker.  Amazingly, I managed to do that right the first time.

The foam took some trimming to get right, but worked out pretty well considering I have no skills and just did it freehand.

For the ears I shaped and cut two black pipe cleaners into ^ shapes (Is there a word for that?  They're not triangles since there's only two "lines" and they don't have the middle bar of an A).  I glued the ^'s onto some black felt, then cut them out and risked additional hot glue gun injuries.  (Actually, gluing the ears on wasn't as bad as the little pieces of the mask--I just held the tips of the ears and pushed down, then lightly smoothed down the bottom edge of the felt.)

Amigurumi World does have a pattern for little cat ears, but I just got too frustrated.  Sometimes the cotton yarn splits a lot, and I just didn't have the patience to make something so small.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to make the zipper pull for her catsuit, but I probably will give her arms.  Just so she can hold a whip.


  1. The goggles turned out really well--looks like your MacGuyvering paid off. Of course, I may be biased because this is my favorite version of Catwoman.

  2. You do love those useless animu goggles!