Sunday, August 23, 2009

Vintage pattern and Halloween spider pot

While I was looking for pipe cleaners and googly eyes for a modified Michaels decoration, I found this old pattern in the attic.  It's proof that we never throw anything away since it's old and battered.  And I'm the only one in my immediate family who knows how to crochet.

The copyright date (1971) makes it ten years older than I am, but I'd like to think the poncho and the skirts wouldn't have been socially acceptable ever.

Oddly there's a receipt inside with my mother's (rarely used married) name and dated 2/7/81.  And a Bible verse next to a picture of Calvary at the bottom.

I'm not entirely sure how or why the long skirt is one size like the bag and poncho.  Maybe if you're want people to think you turned Grandma's afghan into a skirt you're not big on "accurate fit."

Unfortunately, I won't be able to rock the miniskirt since my hips are in the medium range, but my waist is currently a large.  And, based on Project Fug Hat, I really shouldn't be allowed to make clothes anyway.  Even if they are basically a bunch of potholders sewn together.

As for the Michaels project, I'm waiting for the green paint to dry.  I'm going to skip the words on the pot since they're stupid, and my handwriting's bad enough with pen and paper.  Trying to daintily paint them on is going to make this thing look even more like an 8 year old's art project.

An eight year old who cares about scientific accuracy.

Also, looking up "spider's eyes" to figure out correct googly eye placement is really horrible.  I don't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment